Sunday, February 5, 2012

Another week... funny how time just keeps marching on, huh? - Monday, January 16, 2012

Hello Family and Friends!

I turn the big 2-2 tomorrow!  CRAZY!  I am so much older than I used to be!!!  (Duh, I know.  But I feel old, even though I am not, so that was the best way I could think of describing it.)  I remember when I was a little girl and I thought that missionaries were SO OLD.  Well, what do you know!  Time moves on.  We are all getting older.  There isn't anything we can do to stop the flow of time.  (Ain't that a lovely thought?)  But I read this quote from the Music Man in a talk by President Monson ("Finding Joy in the Journey"... he also uses it in this excellent older talk "In Search of Treasure") the other day, "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."  The music professor, Harold Hill, goes on to say, "I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering."  That is what I want for my birthday, if I can ask anything of all of you.  Make today and then tomorrow and then the next day worth remembering! Live it up!  This is LIFE!  We are so lucky that we get to be alive right now on this earth during this time!  Appreciate what you have!  Make memories!

Some memories of mine from this past week:

Well, we had the cutest program EVER!  We set up with this cute little lady and went to her house.  She told us she would meet us at the bus stop.  I had never met her before so when we got off the bus, I looked around and this little old lady came running at us.  She gave us giant hugs and kisses and told us she was so happy that we had found her okay.  Linking arms with us, she walked us to her house.  Her house was so cool, full of collections of books and things she had collected from various countries around the world.  She showed us some rocks from various countries.  She had some sand from the Sahara Desert.  She let me touch it, and after I did so, I told her, "Now I've been in the Sahara Desert!"  She was like, "You've been to the Sahara Desert?  When?"  I said, "Oh, just now... when I stuck my finger... in.. the... sand..."  (Joke fail haha.)  She told us lots of stories about her adventures, fed us tons of delicious food, and we were able to talk about the Book of Mormon.  By the end, she had offered to teach us Hungarian embroidery and actually GAVE us some (it is really expensive to buy, so that was a REALLY nice gift).  I hope we are able to meet with her again :)

We did P90X with our elders for exercise one morning this past week.  The one we picked was called Plyometrics and was super intense.  During the warm-up, when we were lunging, the instructor said, "If you are having a hard time with this, this work out is going to be really hard for you!"  We kind of looked at each other and laughed nervously.  And then it turned out to be really hard.  But we finished it!  And then had sore legs for the next two days haha.  But it is important to take care of your body.  Exercise!  We also were able to attend this Tai Chi class put on by one of our members.  I liked it!  I had never done it before but it was really neat!

Yesterday, we went to baptismal services in Békéscsaba (Sister Johnson's old area).  There were four women baptized!  It was so cool!  There isn't a baptismal font in their church building there (it is really small) so they had to search around for one.  They finally found a hotel willing to let them use their jacuzzi.  So, we set up a bunch of chairs around the jacuzzi and did the baptismal service there.  It was pretty tight going when the ladies were baptized (we baptize by full-immersion in this church).  It involved some tight geometry and angles.  Some of women had to be dipped a couple of times so all of them went under.  But it all went though!  It was inspiring to see these women's faith.  They believe in God and the scriptures so much that they were willing to make this baptismal covenant in a little hotel jacuzzi.  They were all confirmed at church later that day and that was beautiful too.  It is so cool to see little branches like the one in Békéscsaba.  It is not easy.  But these members believe enough to make it their life.

Anyways, it has been a good week overall :)  Sister Johnson and I are getting in a better groove, I think :) 

Sorry my emails have been kind of short these past two weeks.  I am TIRED.  But happy :)

Wish me luck!  Better yet, say a little prayer for me :P

Love you all!
McKenna aka Kramer Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment