Sunday, January 8, 2012

Does this mean I get Senior Citizen discounts? - Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello All!

I don't know how many of you have heard the news, but we had transfers this past week and some pretty interesting things happened.  I'll let you all get the news like I did.  We received transfer calls on Tuesday and this is kind of how the conversation went:

AP Smith: Good morning sisters!  We have some pretty exciting news for you both.  Do you want to hear where Sister De Leon or Sister Kramer is going first?
De Leon Nővér: Sister Kramer! (Me (silently): Yes!  Let's get this suspense over with!)
AP Smith: Actually, we are going to save her news for last :P  (Me (silently): Dang it!)  Sister De Leon... you are going to Dunaújváros!
De Leon: Yay!!
AP Smith: Sister Kramer... you ready for this?
Me:  Ummm.... yes?
AP Smith: You are staying in Kispest.  (Me (silently): Yay!)  Sister Tiffany Johnson will be your companion.  Congratulations on going senior.
Me: Wait, WHAT?  (consequent state of shock... aka I organized my closet and ate chocolate truffles)

So, yeah, my new companion is one of my sisters from the MTC!!!  For those of you who don't know, this means that we are co-seniors!!!  (By the way, I am NOT training!  Our office elder accidentally sent out an email to all the missionaries' parents saying that their son or daughter was training.  THANKFULLY, not true haha!)  However, being a senior this early in my mission is not easy either!  This is basically unheard of for missionaries in their third transfer!!!  (Actually, I am not really sure if it has happened before).

It was super funny because EVERYBODY asked me how I was doing!  (Taylor Elder took De Leon Nővér aside and asked her how I was "taking it" haha).  I think they all expected me to go into a real state of shock (which, after the truffle eating, didn't really happen).  Honestly, I don't know that this is something I would have chosen for myself.  And I feel pretty inadequate for the job.  (Since it is in my area (and I am the better speaker), I am the more senior of the two, which puts the main responsibility on my shoulders.)  BUT.  As Sister Smith, one of the senior sisters here told me, it is pretty neat to realize that President Baughman and God have a lot of trust in me.  I know that if I work hard and trust in the Lord, it will all work out :)  It will pretty much guaranteed be really hard... but it will be okay :)

We actually switched companions this last Thursday.  On Transfer Day, all of the missionaries transferring meet up at this train station to meet up with their new companions.  De Leon Nővér and I drove there with our zone leaders (which we were very grateful for because her luggage weighed a TON!) and were able to visit with about half our mission.  I saw most of my group and ősi's and that was really fun.  Finally, though, it was time to go.  De Leon Nővér and I gave each other the biggest hug and then we left.  It was really hard saying good bye to her!  She was an amazing trainer and an amazing friend.  And, let's be honest, I was pretty nervous about figuring it all out without her.  She exhibited a lot of trust in me, though, which I really appreciated!  And Sister Johnson is going to be perfect for Kispest, I know!  She has such a sincere, sweet love for people and a great testimony!  I have loved her insights.  (AND.  We both love clothes and are totally okay with closet sharing!)  We are going to be good togther.  Heck, I hope that we become a powerhouse!

After being brought home by the Zone Leaders (again, very grateful for their car.  I am not really sure how we would have brought Sister Johnson's stuff (two giant suitcases, two guitars, 4 Christmas boxes) home on public transportation by ourself), I decided to take us to visit one of our investigators in the hospital to introduce Sister Johnson to the area and some of our investigators.  Using Sister De Leon's instructions, I tried to find this area.  However, after taking the vilamos to the stop she told me, I could NOT find the bus we wanted to switch to!  I called her for clarification (I know, I know, I didn't even make it one day without calling my trainer!  Haha.) and after more confusing directions, I finally just called Béla, our investigator.  He told me that we were actually at the wrong vilamos stop!!!  (Which explained a LOT).  He said that we needed to go two more, so we did... and STILL couldn't find the bus!!!  We were actually in a super sketchy part of town, and Sister Johnson was pretty nervous, having just come from a tiny tiny town to the biggest city in Hungary.  I called Béla back and it turns out he meant two stops in the other direction.  So, we went that way, found our bus, and then took about a half hour bus ride to the hospital!  We made it, though!  And we were able to share the Christmas story and sing hymns to our investigators, which I think they really appreciated.  So, it all worked out in the end :)  It was pretty funny at the time, though.  

Since then, I have been keeping us running!  We have been finding, I have been setting up appointments, we've taught a lessons, and I have led us all over Budapest.  We had a funny moment at the weekly "Gofri Est" at the mission home on Saturday, though.  President Baughman kept coming over and asking me if I was okay (probably about 3 times haha).  He told me that he worried about us (since we are so "young").  I told him we were fine and told him about some of things we had been doing.  He, relieved, said, "Oh, so you CAN use the phone!  Oh good!"  I couldn't help but laugh.  He didn't know if I could use the phone or not?!  What would he have done if I couldn't?  However, I think that exhibits a lot of faith on his part in us and in the Lord.  He trusted in the inspiration he felt and knew that we would make it happen with the Lord's help.  And I personally am really grateful that my trainer made me talk on the phone since my first day in the country.  l also led us around the city, led in lessons, filled out all the paperwork, and basically learned to do all the things with her that I am now doing every day and teaching Sister Johnson to do.  I am most grateful for the Lord's help, though.  I know that He has a lot of trust in me and is helping this happen.  If nothing else, He is also blessing me with a lot of peace in a time that could be really stressful.  I know that it will all be great :D

However, this past week was pretty easy, since we had Christmas and New Year's.  We spent a lot of other time with missionaries (who are all very willing to help us out).  It has been fun!
Stay tuned!  I have a pretty good feeling that this transfer will be FULL of funny moments and adventures!

Love you all!  Happy New Year's!!!

Love,
McKenna aka Kramer Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment