Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." -George Bernard Shaw - Monday, April 16, 2012

Hello Family!

This week has been great!!!  We have worked SO HARD!

We also had Zone Conference this week.  It was so great!  It was President's last Zone Conference (next transfer is Interviews, then he and Sister Baughman are going home), and we talked a lot about what type of missionaries we are and what we can be.  President used another mission president's training, called "The Fourth Missionary" for his remarks.  It was really cool.  We talked about how it is so important that we put our heart in this work as missionaries.  It is not enough to simply follow the rules.  We need to love this work.  We ourselves need to change as we serve these people and God.  I really liked this quote from it, "The United States Army says, "Be all that you can be."  But neither the Army nor you know all that you can be.  The Lord says, "Let me make of you all that you can be." "  With God's help (if we are humble enough to turn to Him and accept His guidance), we can be way more than without his help.  I have actually been thinking about this a lot recently, coming to this thought: Faith doesn't change your circumstances (despite what so many people think).  Instead, faith changes you.  And then YOU can go and change your circumstances.  And find joy in that journey.

At Zone Conference, I was also able to hear De Leon's departing testimony.  (That's right.  My trainer is going home at the end of this transfer!!!  CRAZY!  I can't believe it!)  I love this tradition of hearing the missionaries going home sharing their love of this work and this country.  It is always inspiring and makes me think about what I will say (in a little less than a year... so still a ways away haha :P).  But, truly, time is flying here!  I have passed my 6 months in the country mark!  (Which I cannot believe!)  I have been through a fall and a winter and now flowers are blooming and the sun is shining.  It is really a very small time I get to do this.  I want to make every second count!  I love being a missionary!!!).  Anyways, I want to be able to confidantly stand up there and share my love and testimony of this work, this gospel, and my sincerity and dedication to it every single day.

Anyways, like I said, we have been busy this week!  We had the zone goal of talking to 300 people.  And we did it!  We talked to people all the time.  And I have some really cool stories from this:
-We passed out surveys asking what themes people were interested.  One boy about my age said he was interested in scripture study (a little less common choice for someone my age).  I asked him if he was religious and he told me that he was and read out of the Bible!  He hadn't heard of the Book of Mormon, so I ended up giving him a copy.
-We met people who used to meet with missionaries and would like to meet again!
-My favorite story: we were tabling one day, talking to people walking by.  These two high-school aged girls walked by, one of them commenting on our free English class.  I walked over to them and gave them a flyer about English class and we started talking.  One of the girls told me she didn't need to practice, she already spoke English.  I asked where she had learned and she told me she had done a study abroad in America for a year.  I asked her where (and you are never going to believe this), she said CONNECTICUT!!  She lived in Mystic, CT for a year!  Neither of us could believe it!  Hungary and Connecticut are both such random, little places, it was CRAZY that I met someone from there!  We talked some more and I ended up giving her a Book of Mormon and we exchanged information.  So, we'll see if it goes anywhere :)  But it was so neat (and random)!

All-in-all, Sister Papritz and I talked to 301 people this past week about the gospel!  Some conversations went better than others, but it was such a great goal to push us to talk to way more people than we normally would.  And that is so great because we really never know who might be interested :)  We want to continue to push our finding in the next couple of weeks by talking to people whenever we can!

Anyways, unrelated to missionary work, some people have been asking if there is anything I would like from America.  Well, we don't really have American food or products here.  Suggestions include mac'n'cheese (Kraft... or my favorite is Annie's white cheddar shells!), Oreos, Burt's Bees chapstick, various candies (the jolly ranchers were a big hit, Mom!), or whatever (not just food haha) you think I would like :)  I don't really need anything super practical (I still live in a developed country and can buy essentials myself) but if anyone would like to send anything fun, feel free :)  Thanks for all of the love and support!  I really appreciate all of you :)

Have an amazing week!

Love,
Kramer Nővér aka McKenna

No comments:

Post a Comment